Friday, September 23, 2011

[RE]Community Service

"I encourage everyone to give their time for the good of the community. The more volunteers we have, the better. This will continue to improve the cleanliness of our community."-Gabriel Mapa 
      I borrowed this quote because I agree that everyone should do something to help out in their community to make it better for everyone. Community service can really help out people who need assistance. Also, doing community service is a high school graduation requirement as well as a necessity to get accepted at a good college, besides getting good grades and other things. It can also be healthy for a person who does not usually do this kind of activity. It gets people outside working and can make the environment cleaner and less polluted, depending on what community service you are doing. There are many ways to help out in your community, including helping pick up trash, volunteering at various places, and more. Overall, helping your community is beneficial for everyone to have better living conditions.
      Although I approve of community service and understand its benefits, I have not done any of it in my high school career. In middle school, I tutored at the library every day after school for one to two hours. I do plan to do community service later on, just as soon as I get my homework under control and when there is an opportunity present for me to use. In UCLA, the average amount of community service hours done is two hundred, which may seem like a lot, especially to people like me who have zero, but hours build up over time and can pile up very high. Community service is definitely important for everybody.

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget to link to Gabe's post, so that a reader can go there quickly if they want to see it.

    Let me take this opportunity to invite you to the buildOn club at AHS. It meets in my room on Wednesdays during lunch and we do awesome service projects every weekend. Come check it out.

    ReplyDelete